Matthew 26:30-34 ESV
And when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives. 31 Then Jesus said to them, “You will all fall away because of me this night. For it is written, ‘I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’ 32 But after I am raised up, I will go before you to Galilee.” 33 Peter answered him, “Though they all fall away because of you, I will never fall away.” 34 Jesus said to him, “Truly, I tell you, this very night, before the rooster crows, you will deny me three times.”
- Jesus told them in advance that they would scatter.
- Do we only follow Jesus when it is easy?
- Do you follow Him when the path leads to pain?
- Prophets had forecasted this moment!
- Peter says he will never fall away. Did he mean it?
- Jesus always knew this and loved and called Peter.
- Jesus knows our inability to fulfill our promises, but He always fulfills His.
- I believe That Jesus loved Peter’s heart here.
- Yet Jesus tells him the truth that hours from now you will deny knowing Me 3 times.
- Can you relate? When your intentions and declarations don’t match your follow through?
- Are you comforted by the fact that He knows and continues to faithfully love you!
- Do you know Him?
Matthew 26:35 ESV
Peter said to him, “Even if I must die with you, I will not deny you!” And all the disciples said the same.
- Their sincerity lacked power.
Luke 22:31-34 ESV
“Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, 32 but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers.” 33 Peter said to him, “Lord, I am ready to go with you both to prison and to death.” 34 Jesus said, “I tell you, Peter, the rooster will not crow this day, until you deny three times that you know me.”
- We are brought into heaven’s conversation.
- Satan wants to sift the saint.
- The father of lies wants to reveal fault & doubt
- Our Father uses these moments to test our hearts and purify us.
- Did you know Jesus is praying for you?
- Before you face the temptation and test!
- What does Jesus prayer for?
- Maybe we should follow Jesus’ example here.
- How do we pass the test & overcome the temptation?
- What test or temptation are you facing?
- Jesus has prayed for you!
- Jesus said that path is hard!
- Trust Him despite the circumstances.
- Jesus said “when you have turned again”
- Jesus knew Peter would turn!
- Do you need to turn again today?
- We are told in scripture that we will turn again too.
- Have you returned to Jesus?
- What does Jesus tell Simon to do after he turns?
Luke 22:54-62 ESV
Then they seized him and led him away, bringing him into the high priest’s house, and Peter was following at a distance. 55 And when they had kindled a fire in the middle of the courtyard and sat down together, Peter sat down among them. 56 Then a servant girl, seeing him as he sat in the light and looking closely at him, said, “This man also was with him.” 57 But he denied it, saying, “Woman, I do not know him.” 58 And a little later someone else saw him and said, “You also are one of them.” But Peter said, “Man, I am not.” 59 And after an interval of about an hour still another insisted, saying, “Certainly this man also was with him, for he too is a Galilean.” 60 But Peter said, “Man, I do not know what you are talking about.” And immediately, while he was still speaking, the rooster crowed. 61 And the Lord turned and looked at Peter. And Peter remembered the saying of the Lord, how he had said to him, “Before the rooster crows today, you will deny me three times.” 62 And he went out and wept bitterly.
- Have you ever made lofty promises to the Lord?
- He knows our heart and future.
- He also knows our limits and potential.
- It is not by power or by might but by His Spirit!
- Let’s not put our confidence in what we will or won’t do, but in Him and walk by faith and not by sight.
- Peter was brave but his courage failed him.
- The Lord will never fail us, trust in Him!
1 Corinthians 10:12 ESV
Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall.