Outline of John 5:19-47
The Authority of the Son
Jesus Claims….He cannot act independently of the Father. Union. “can do nothing of his own accord”
- Though equal with the Father in deity, in His humanity Jesus humbles Himself to become a servant. The Father is always working. Will you join their work?
Phillipians 2:5 Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped (held onto), 7 but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.
Jesus Claims…that His work is a perfect reflection of the work and will of the Father. “whatever the Father does, that the Son does likewise”
- The will of God….Jesus. We pursue a person, not a roadmap.
Jesus Claims…that He has unlimited access to the mind of God the Father. “shows him all that he himself is doing”.
“And greater works than these will he show him, so that you may marvel.” Refers to LIFE and JUDGEMENT
Jesus Claims…He is the author and source of life. (even of those who now accuse Him)
- Ps 139:13 For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.
- Acts 3:15 and you killed the Author of life, whom God raised from the dead. To this we are witnesses.
Jesus claims…that all judgment has been committed to the Son and that we receive eternal life through Him.
- Jesus is the standard by which we are all measured and the sacrifice that satisfies our sin debt.
Jesus claims….that failing to honor God the Son means that it is impossible for one to also honor God the Father who sent the Son.
- All religions are NOT worshipping the same God. You can’t be wrong on Jesus, but right on God. (Many Tom Bradwell’s, only 1 me.)
- John 14:6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
- 1 John 4: 1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already.
Jesus Claims…to have the authority to execute final judgement over all who have ever lived, and to determine the eternal state of each person. He is the Lamb and the LION.
Judgment Before the Great White Throne
11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. From his presence earth and sky fled away, and no place was found for them. 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done. 13 And the sea gave up the dead who were in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead who were in them, and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done. 14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. 15 And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.
The Fourfold Witnesses to the Deity of Jesus
John 5: 30-35 –JOHN THE BAPTIST BEARS WITNESSES
John 5:36 –THE WORKS OF JESUS BEAR WITNESS
John 5:37-44–THE FATHER BEARS WITNESS
John 5:45-47–THE SCRIPTURE BEARS WITNESS.
3 Implications of the Deity of Christ
- Because Jesus was God and sinless, His sacrifice was sufficient to satisfy the justice of God for ALL sin. A mere mortal could not meet that requirement.
Hebrews 7:26 For it was indeed fitting that we should have such a high priest, holy, innocent, unstained, separated from sinners, and exalted above the heavens. 27 He has no need, like those high priests, to offer sacrifices daily, first for his own sins and then for those of the people, since he did this once for all when he offered up himself. 28 For the law appoints men in their weakness as high priests, but the word of the oath, which came later than the law, appoints a Son who has been made perfect forever.
- God entered our humanity and is familiar with our struggles, yet without sin.
- Hebrews 4:15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.
- Jesus is LORD, not only Savior. Have you yielded to His Lordship?
*Liar, Lunatic, or LORD. (C.S. Lewis)
If Jesus were not Lord, he would be a liar or a lunatic.
Jesus was neither a liar nor a lunatic; therefore, Jesus is Lord.
James 1:1 James, a servant[ of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes in the Dispersion: Greetings.